- Eicosapentaenoic acid triglyceride is unsaturated fatty acid and consists of three EPA (In chemical structure, EPA is a carboxylic acid with a 20-carbon chain and five cis double bonds) fatty acids bonded to a single glycerol molecule. Following picture  is structural formula of Eicosapentaenoic acid triglyceride.
- Structural formula of Eicosapentaenoic acid triglyceride.
(1) Structural formula
EPA : C63H92O56
(2) Molecular weight
EPA : 944.7 g/mol
(3) Efficacy testing for Rheumatoid arthritis
1) As for the Arthritis model caused by giving Freund's complete adjuvant (FCA) against Winter Rats, this is conducted by Chemport to verify the efficacy of Eicosapentaenoic Acid 70 Triglyceride in Arthritis.
• Group A : Normal control group (putting only Excipient Corn oil, not lead to Arthritis)
• Group B : Arthritis control group (lead to Arthritis by giving FCA, putting only Excipient)
• Group C : The group of taking testing material which is Eicosapentaenoic Acid 70 Triglyceride
• Group D: Positive Control group (phenylbutazone group)
• Amount of treatment : 5 ml / kg (all groups are same amount)
• Amount of Eicosapentaenoic Acid 70 Triglyceride: 500, 1000, 2000 mg/kg B.W
• Amount of Positive Control : 50 mg/kg B.W.
• Period : 21 days (after FCA treatment, once per day with oral)
2) Test Result on the change of Foot Edema, coagulation time and serum test during medication period is as following. .
â—¦ As for the change of foot edema after putting FCA into the testing groups, It is found that the rate of increase on foot edema is respectively reduced in Group C and Group D against (compared to) Group B.
â—¦ According to the testing result of measuring foot edema in group C and D who keep taking testing material (Eicosapentaenoic Acid 70 Triglyceride) for 21 days, it is found that the rate of foot edema is respectively reduced over Arthritis control group.
â—¦ According to test result for Blood Biochemistry, the reduction of Alanine aminotransferase(ALT), Aspartate aminotransferase(AST) and Alkaline phosphatase(ALP) in blood is discovered compared to arthritis control group. Also, The reduction of triglyceride and total cholesterol in blood is found in Group C statistically.
â—¦ According to test result of coagulation time, the delay of prothrombin time(PT) is found in C group compared to B group.
• In conclusion, the result of putting Eicosapentaenoic Acid 70 Triglyceride into testing group is as following.
As the duration of taking Eicosapentaenoic Acid 70 Triglyceride is longer, the Foot Edema is getting decreased. The concentration of lipid in blood is getting decreased and the prothombin time is delayed. According to testing result, it is implied that taking testing material (Eicosapentaenoic Acid 70 Triglyceride) is effective in reducing Arthritis and improving blood circulation.