The invention provides novel and important insights into molecular mechanism of cardiovascular specification and provides potential novel methods for dramatically increasing the number of cardiovascular cells for cellular therapy in humans.
- First step, Mesp1 is identified as the key molecular determinant of multipotent cardiovascular progenitors (MCP) specification.
- In the next step, these early MCPs were transcriptionally profiled and a series of genes that can be used to isolate MCP from various sources were identified.
These gene profiles will enable us to specifically enhance cardiovascular cells production and to influence the types of cardiovascular cells generated from ES cells.
KEY ADVANTAGES OF THE Description of Technology
• Highly efficient method for generation of cardiovascular cells or progenitors
• Extremely versatile method for promoting cardiac cell differentiation from various sources of stem cells that can be used for
- cellular therapy in humans but also for,
- tissue engineering & pharmacological and toxicological screening.
MAIN PUBLICATIONS (related to the patent)
- Defining the earliest step of cardiovascular progenitor specification during embryonic stem cell differentiation. Bondue A, Tännler S, Chiapparo G, Chabab S, Ramialison M, Paulissen C, Beck B, Harvey R, Blanpain C.; J Cell Biol. 2011 Mar 7;192(5):751-65.
- Mesp1 acts as a master regulator of multipotent cardiovascular progenitor specification. Bondue, A., Lapouge, G., Paulissen, C., Semeraro, C., Iacovino, M., Kyba, M. and Blanpain, C. (2008); Cell Stem Cell 3(1):69-84
Type of Business Relationship Sought
Licensing, Research and Development
Last Updated Sep 2014